National Weather Service Forecast Discussion |
Thornton Weather Forecast Today's Forecast Story |
568 FXUS65 KBOU 241140 AFDBOU Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Denver/Boulder CO 540 AM MDT Thu Sep 24 2026 .KEY MESSAGES... - Additional rain chances Thursday and Friday (30-70%) and cooler temperatures for Thursday afternoon. - Drier and warmer this weekend before an upper level trough brings cooler temperatures and potentially our next chances for showers/storms early next week. - Medium chance (30% to 50%) for mountain snow above 10,000ft late Monday into Tuesday. && .DISCUSSION /Through Wednesday/... Issued at 1105 PM MDT Wed Sep 23 2026 As of 11:30pm, showers are moving northeast through our far eastern counties. Scattered showers will continue in the eastern plains through much of the overnight period. Rain should generally remain light, with no hazards expected. A surface low is forecast to develop to our southeast on Thursday, turning surface winds more northerly in the morning and easterly by the afternoon. PWs will decrease slightly as the turning of winds no longer allows Gulf moisture to stream into the area at lower levels. However, the more easterly winds will allow for upslope for much of the afternoon and evening on Thursday. Showers and an isolated storm or two are expected to form over the higher terrain, starting in the southern Front Range foothills and Palmer Divide in the mid afternoon. Rain chances will then move into northern mountains and foothills later in the evening and early overnight period as winds turn more southeasterly. PWs will remain around 140% to 190% of normal and storm motions will be pretty slow (10 to 15kts), so some localized heavy rainfall and flash flooding will be possible in the late afternoon and evening. On Friday, a shortwave will approach the area providing some upper level lift and scattered showers and storms. PWs will remain high (around 150% to 175% of normal), but storm motions are forecast to be faster than Thursday, leading to slightly lower flash flooding concerns. Models have rain chances increasing in the higher terrain for the early afternoon, with the rain chances pushing east throughout the afternoon and early evening. The shortwave will move off to the east early Saturday, with upper level ridging building on the backside of the shortwave for the weekend. At the surface, a boundary looks to move through early Saturday, turning winds more westerly. These winds will bring drier and warmer downsloping air into the urban corridor and plains, dropping PWs and increasing highs back above normal for the weekend. Rain chances will decrease significantly behind this boundary and highs will reach into the low to mid 80s for much of the plains. Things start to get more interesting for the start of next week as a trough approaches the area. There is still a lot of uncertainty with this system, as some models have the trough digging south, with a low developing near the Four Corners region. While other models keep the trough more north, before it digs further south to our east. The positioning and strength of the trough will have significant impacts on the strength and timing of a cold front, our precip chances, and temperatures for Monday through Wednesday. Right now, models are showing a decent cold front moving through the area sometime late Monday through early Tuesday. The positioning of that trough will determine if we can pull those colder temperatures aloft south behind the front. This has lead to a pretty significant spread in temperatures between ensemble members, with highs on Tuesday ranging anywhere from the low 50s to near 70 (25th to 75th percentiles) for the plains. The temperatures will have impacts on the snow chances in the higher terrain as well. Areas above 10,000ft are currently sitting at a 20% to 40% chance for at least an inch of snow from late Monday through late Tuesday. If we can get those colder temperatures and better lift in our area, we could see those chances increase as we get closer. && .AVIATION /12Z TAFS through 12Z Friday/... Issued at 535 AM MDT Thu Sep 24 2026 Rain showers have gradually upticked in coverage in the vicinity of KAPA over the last 90 minutes. Have kept a VCSH through 14z this morning at KAPA. There is a ~10% chance that KDEN sees a rain shower over the next hour or two. Winds are light and variable across much of the area and will eventually turn to the northeast/east by the afternoon. More rain showers are possible this afternoon, so have PROB30s at all three sites starting around 22z- when showers could move off the higher terrain- and lasting through at least 2z. Instability is forecast to be rather low. Showers could linger a bit past 4z at KAPA and KBJC. Winds should turn to drainage for a few hours after the showers end. The main focus then turns to the potential for fog/low stratus on Friday morning. Models and BUFKIT soundings continue to be in relatively good agreement that the lowest 1-2 km of the atmosphere will be rather saturated. Dewpoint depressions are forecast to be < 1 degree at KBJC and KDEN. Winds look to turn to the north or northeast early on Friday morning, introducing upslope flow to the area with lowering ceilings/VCFG. The period of highest concern as it looks now is from about 11z to 14z on Friday morning. There is now enough confidence to introduce a TEMPO at KDEN and KBJC. Visibility could drop to 1/2 SM or less at KDEN and KBJC for this period if the fog potential were to be realized. At KAPA, the majority of guidance does not turn winds fully to the north, so the fog potential is lower there. Have included some ceilings around 4000 ft AGL given the saturated environment. Once any fog and/or low clouds erode around 15z Friday, winds will turn to the southeast ahead of another potential afternoon of showers/t-storms. && .BOU WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES... None. && $$ DISCUSSION...AP AVIATION...MV